In a research survey conducted by staffing leader PeopleReady, it was found out that 85% of Gig Workers don’t have any Fear of Going to Work during the Coronavirus Pandemic or COVID-19. Also, many people wanted to Help to Stop the Spread of the Virus.
As the United States government and health officials across the country are taking precautionary measures and actions to contain the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), there is a critical need for second responders. The second responders are workers who support essential services across different communities during times of crisis. At this time, PeopleReady is helping companies connect actively with gig workers for delivering essential services round the clock with its JobStack app. This app, at present, is filling a job every 9 seconds. The company is also offering helpful insights for workers as well as employers and sharing results of the latest nationwide survey it conducted on working during the Coronavirus pandemic.
Taryn Owen, President of PeopleReady, stated, ‘Our hearts go out to everyone impacted by COVID-19, particularly those who are sick and trying to recover across the globe. Our communities need second responders – people who can serve hospitals, restock stores, manufacture essential products, deliver meals, and sanitize schools, among other roles. Many people are raising their hands to help as long as the right safety precautions are taken. We’re all in this together, and we all want to do our part to help keep our communities healthy and safe.’
PeopleReady conducted a nationwide survey from March 10 to March 22, 2020. The study conducted on of 2,266 gig workers found that many in fact, are ready to help:
- A majority (85%) of gig workers said they are not afraid to attend work because of concerns related to the Coronavirus pandemic.
- Nearly about 3 in 4 (72%) gig workers are willing to accept temporary work like cleaning/sanitizing an environment where residents have COVID-19 if the proper protocol and safety gear is provided to the workers.
- Among these workers, 70% of them said that as long as safety measures are taken, the work will be like any other regular work. 40% of them wanted to help stop the spread of the virus, while 39% said they look forward to being paid more at this time.
Staffing firm PeopleReady also specializes in offering consulting and tips for employees and companies, of them which are:
Tips for Companies
- Assess whether a business can stay open during a “shelter in place” mandate: Whether a company is amid a “shelter in place” mandate or preparing for a situation like that, it is essential that it understands the actual definition of essential services in the area and whether the business qualifies for it.
- Leverage technology and local staffing branches to quickly access gig workers: Companies that require workers can easily post job assignments through JobStack Customer App 24/7 and get to know which workers have accepted the appointment. Also, 600+ branches of PeopleReady are willing and ready to help with the local employment needs.
- Communicate health and safety measures you are taking upfront: Gig workers always want to know if they’re protected. It is best to let them know about the safety precautions and methods it has adopted for the gig workers.
Subscribe to the leading Human Resources Magazine to receive exclusive news and insights directly to your inbox.