A job interview is a two-way street. Once an employer is done with analyzing the candidate after asking all the interview questions, he may provide a chance to the candidate to ask some questions. This is the time for the job seeker to display his intelligence and knowledge. So, even if you don’t know what to ask, you should definitely know about not to ask questions in an interview as a candidate. Of course, there are questions that you should be asking before accepting the job offer, but no need to rush into asking everything that you possibly can during the first interview itself.
Here are some not to ask questions in an interview when employer asks if you have any questions in the early rounds of selection process:
You didn’t bother to read the job description
- What are the job responsibilities?
- What are the requirements of the job?
It is advisable to keep a copy of the job description with you when going for the interview. Review it before the interview begins so that you don’t end up asking above-mentioned questions.
You didn’t do any homework
You didn’t do any research before applying for the job and so you have no clue what the company does.
- How old is this company?
- What does this company do?
- Who are the competitors of this company?
You are hiding something
Asking the following interview questions may seriously harm your candidature, showing that you have something to hide:
- Will you call the references?
- Will you conduct a background check before offering the job?
- Do I need to pass a drug test or something before getting hired?
- Will you offer maternity or paternity or pawternity leave?
You are not really interested in the offered position
- When will I get a raise?
- How many paid vacation days would I get?
- Would the company pay for any training or advanced degree for me?
You are not trustworthy
Some of the not to ask questions in an interview also includes the following, which may clearly state that your employer cannot trust you:
- Is the office full of cameras that watches everything I do?
- Do you monitor internet usage during my working hours?
- Will my boss micromanage?
- Will anyone monitor my social media activities?
- Will I be required to provide a doctor’s note when taking a sick day?