Whether you want to stay up-to-date on HR news, read in-depth HR articles, or find new ideas on strategy, innovation, and leadership, The HR Digest Magazine is here to suit your needs and help you stay more informed.
Employee Handbook (also known as staff handbook, company policy manual or employee manual) is a document that contains a company’s operating procedures. The employee handbook can be used to bring together key job-related information such as policies, working conditions, behavioral expectations that guide employee actions in a particular situation.
An employee handbook is usually delivered to a worker upon their first day of work. It can be a valuable resource for both, the organization and the worker. It is designed to establish clear rules and policies that are expected to be followed and to protect the rights of the employer and the worker. In addition, it also gives an overview of the expectations of management.
Advantages of an Employee Handbook
A well-structured employee handbook has several advantages. It helps an employer run operations efficiently by outlining the do’s and don’ts of the workplace. It encourages workers to behave and perform better. Below are just a few reasons why every organization, regardless of the number of workers, should have an employee handbook.
- One of the primary benefits of an employee handbook is that it provides the information needed to make a positive first impression on the new worker. In addition, it sets expectations regarding professionalism and productivity in the workplace.
- A great employee handbook outlines for workers how they should behave and perform and what will happen if they fail to meet the desired expectations. It should also provide information on how they can succeed in their jobs.
- In addition, an employee handbook acts as a guide for workers on how to make a leave request, complain about harassment, report workplace violence, refrain from drug and alcohol use in the workplace, comply with laws, etc.
- A well-tailored employee handbook helps ensure that managers and supervisors across the organization are able to handle workplace issues consistently. It acts not just as an instruction manual on how to manage workplace conflict, but also a framework for managers to follow.
- The biggest advantage of an employee manual is that it allows you to take credit for all the perks and benefits that you offer to your workers. The handbook should list all the benefits provided by the organization to the workers. This includes listing of benefits from workers’ compensation to medical insurance and types of paid and unpaid time off offered to the workers.
- Last of all, a well-structured employee handbook should act as a first line of defense in case of legal claims. In most states, winning an unemployment claim requires proof that the worker was given notice of a certain rule of policy and had been warned that violating it may lead to disciplinary action up to and including termination. It can help you win or minimize damages in case of a lawsuit.