Congratulations for your promotion! You have earned it through your hard work and perseverance. Now that you have a new job role, you should be well aware of your job responsibilities and the skills that you need to develop to justify your new role.
You can get valuable insight into the job responsibilities either by your boss or a colleague who is already working at the position that you are promoted to. Suppose you are promoted to the position of an assistant manager, you can ask some of the below-mentioned questions to your fellow assistant manager so that you know what is expected of you. The answers that you might get to these questions will serve you a guide of what to do and what not to do when you are in your new position.
- Was there something surprising about the role that you were not aware of when you first started? How did you handle it later?
- What type of challenges do you face as an *assistant manager* (whatever job position you are being promoted to) and how to tackle them?
- How do you measure your success? And does that match to other’s method of measuring success? (You need to know that this might not be how you see success and you don't need to change your definition if it contradicts with someone else's opinion.)
- Is there something specific about the department that I should know before I start working here?
- What advice do you wish someone gave you when you were promoted to this position?
- What are some frequent requests that come your way? How do you respond to them? Or how do you decline them?
- Would you like to suggest something that would help me in interacting with other departments or make my work smooth and easier?
- What issues do you face frequently? How do you handle them?
- What are your goals for this year? Or how do you set your goals and how is it linked with your team goals?
- What are things that are bothering you? Have you come up with any solution for that?
- Any suggestions for career advancement in this department or this company?
- What’s the best approach to adopt when working with our manager? What does she prefer and does she frown at? What’s hardest about working with our manager? What’s the best thing about working with our boss? Is there anything about her that surprised you?
With answers to all the above questions, you are now ready to take on responsibilities of your new job role that the promotion brings along with a higher pay. You can analyze the answers and try to implement them as much as possible. There is also a chance that some of those things are not suitable to you or conflict with your personality or personal values. In that case, you need to decide for yourself what is the possible solution and implement that to suit your scenario.