2020 has been a drastic year for everyone and in every sphere- be it personally or professionally. The world came to an abrupt halt with COVID-19 darkening the world and lockdowns across countries. People were forced to stay at home and work from home, adjusting their home and work schedules. It has been a tough time for all. However, the COVID-19, too, shall pass! And organizations would again bring employees back to the office.
But what will be the way forward to the employees and organizations once the people come back to the office? With a new year and new scenario post-COVID-19, workplaces should deliver guarantees for employees for their health, safety, and security. Following are some of the new considerations that organizations will have to follow once COVID-19 dissipates, lockdown ends, and the workplace resumes.
- Organizations will have to deliver a guarantee on protecting employees’ health, safety, and well-being. The organizations should also ensure that infected employees adhere to faster disclosures and do not attend the workplace, not risk other co-workers.
- Organizations will have to ensure employees’ safe return and their families who had to travel abroad on work assignments and were stuck in those places. The organization should also ensure proper quarantine procedures, self-isolation, and other guidelines for these people.
- Organizations should take stringent measures to manage and reduce risk to the workplace. It should incorporate new HR processes and policies like travel disclosures, immediate temperature testing, and obtaining medical / fitness certificate on arrival.
- Employee work amenities should be revisited, and work from home options should be available. The organization should implement telecommuting policies, especially those who prefer to work from their ‘home office’.
- Organizations should announce new leave policies to allow for particular unpaid time off to ensure that they take medical care. Additionally, health insurance policies should also be reviewed to include COVID- 19 coverage. Employee care facilities should include employee vaccination and better access to medical facilities.
- Organizations should introduce office commuting facilities and flexible and innovative work schedules to avoid employee travel during rush hour traffic.
- Organizations should ensure strict sensitization on cleanliness and hygiene standards of the employees and the workplace.
- Organizations should revise employment contracts and HR policies to bring flexibility for the employer and employees and make the professional association a good experience.
- Organizations should sensitize their employees to maintain confidentiality on health records and medical data as leaked information about medical history may lead to employment discrimination in the workplace.
- Organizations should revise compensation and benefits structures. Additionally, an organization’s employee performance awards can include the employee’s ability to stay healthy always!